frugallivingforums

Addiction In the Family.

Credits
Hi?
I realized we all have an addict in the family and this is a very crucial topic. It can be your husband or wife or child or sibling. How do you handle addiction in the family? We often assume that the addict is the only one affected but we are all affected one way or another. Maybe it's the insults they hurl at you, maybe its the abusing and battering that you have to cope with, maybe it's their bad habits of stealing and neglecting their role in the family.

How do you offer support to this person?
How do you make this person understand that you care and love them? I know they think and assume you are their enemy and you are out to hurt them when all you want if for them to get better?

Are their any tips that we can share and discuss so that you do not feel alone? You are never alone? We are here to listen and share ideas, you don't have to face any challenge alone.

You can reach out to a Helpline To assist you.
There is always proffesional help. There are psychiatrists to help you. Reach out.

Stylish and Lightweight Electric Bike, 30-Day At Home Trial, 2-Year Warranty.

Alexandoy

Credits
I have a nephew who is a chronic liar and probably a kleptomaniac. And that may be because of his addiction to illegal drugs. He has committed so many petty crimes and a few major crimes but he doesn't seem to be repentant at all. To be honest, I have blacklisted him and I never want to see his face again.

luri

Credits
We don't have an addict in our family, not in my in-laws' family, and also not in my parents' family. However, we do have addiction in distant relatives from my husband's side as well as my site. They are alcoholics. Their body and brain do not work if they don't get alcohol. We have tried sending them to rehabilitation, but it did not work for a long-term basis.

Sprite1950

Credits
Well as you know I have a son who is a recovering heroin addict. He doesn't live with me now but life was pretty terrible when he did. We had the police breaking the door down to arrest him. my daughter had to have a lock put on her bedroom door as he would steal and sell her stuff and he had a child that neither he or the mother could look after. It came to a head when social services told him he could not live with his daughter and she was handed to me. He had to move out or she would have been adopted.

He is now free of drugs but drinks too much. He is a very bad role model to his daughter but luckily she can see that now. I would never prevent her from seeing him as she is old enough to understand what happened. She has cut her mother out of her life and it is heading that way with her father. I would never see him go hungry and I still worry about him as I did when he was little but somewhere inside the man is that cute little boy I raised.

sliara

Credits
Well in our family there is no drug addict, but if ever there was, I don't think I would trust that person very much when he or she is under the influence of drugs. I would only talk to that person if he or she is sober and if he or she is willing to change and drop the habit.

Athanas

Credits
Alcohol and drug addiction is very common in families around the world. I think what you have to do to help an addict is to constantly advise him.

Gad

Credits
I have been dealing with a weed addiction for 3 years. I have been 2 weeks clean and I utterly relate to your concerns. The first thing I would state is that an addict's family members should not enable for instance by fostering a financial saviour schema. I feel that it is only by hitting rock bottom will the addict realize that they have to face their fears and enrolling for some therapy sessions. This can serve as the starting point whereby the family can support recovery through various ways like helping their loved ones commit to sobriety. Often times, the family ends up becoming a critical social support framework during recovery.

Nocturnal Writer

Credits
I'm a lucky father for I don't have an addict out of my 6 children. They're all obedient and very respectful.

When they go out they always ask permission and indicate where they are going and when they're going home.

Their mother and I always have a good communication every now and then. We're very proud of them.

Credits
We have been helped by the hospital and rehabilitation many times to help the addicted family member and it works. We should never give up on helping our loved ones.

nangk08

Credits
Reading through personal experiences here, I realize how difficult it must be to have someone in the family addicted to drugs and alcohol. I know of few people who have lost their lives ultimately but the family they left behind were really torn up. So it is a very sensitive and crucial subject and must be dealt with full support and love from not just family and friends, but the community as a whole should stand in support of such people.

This thread has been viewed 201 times.