frugallivingforums

The modern wedding sucks

Alexandoy

Credits
In our country, the modern style of wedding sucks. Starting with the invitation, the indicated time is 30 minutes or 1 hour in advance. That means you go there on time and waste at least half an hour in waiting. After the church ceremony, the guests proceed to the reception but the newlywed couple go somewhere else for the pictorial. After 1 hour of waiting, the couple arrives to the reception. But no food yet, there would be some presentation by the wedding entourage of singing and dancing. Before you can taste the food it is already 5 hours that you have spent since you arrived in the church.

Stylish and Lightweight Electric Bike, 30-Day At Home Trial, 2-Year Warranty.

luri

Credits
I am a Hindu and I live in a country predominantly Hindu. I have never participated in Christian or Muslim weddings. I have always participated in Hindu weddings. Hindu weddings have elaborate functions, the wedding continues for 2 days and each day ends with feasting. I enjoy wedding functions.

nangk08

Credits
I am a Hindu and I live in a country predominantly Hindu. I have never participated in Christian or Muslim weddings. I have always participated in Hindu weddings. Hindu weddings have elaborate functions, the wedding continues for 2 days and each day ends with feasting. I enjoy wedding functions.
Yes, I agree. Hindu weddings are quite joyful and extremely elaborate affairs with lots of relatives and friends gathered. I love the beautiful, striking colours of the bridal trousseau and the flower decorations, the wide array of traditional foods. However, in India, some modern rituals are sneaking in slowly such as cake cutting after the rituals,, 1-2 hour sessions of photography of the bride and the groom where a lot of time is wasted of the guests who have to wait patiently to meet and greet them both.

Credits
I guess you jus have to bear with it because its there special day.Yoy can distract your self from the long waiting by using your phone or chatting with friends at the ceremony.

luri

Credits
Yes, I agree. Hindu weddings are quite joyful and extremely elaborate affairs with lots of relatives and friends gathered. I love the beautiful, striking colours of the bridal trousseau and the flower decorations, the wide array of traditional foods. However, in India, some modern rituals are sneaking in slowly such as cake cutting after the rituals,, 1-2 hour sessions of photography of the bride and the groom where a lot of time is wasted of the guests who have to wait patiently to meet and greet them both.
Times are changing and so are the rituals. These days, photography takes a center stage in wedding functions. People are spending a lot of money to hire professional photographers and video graphers. When I was getting married, my cousins were the photographer and video graphers. However, a couple of years later when they were getting married, they hired professionals.

nangk08

Credits
Times are changing and so are the rituals. These days, photography takes a center stage in wedding functions. People are spending a lot of money to hire professional photographers and video graphers. When I was getting married, my cousins were the photographer and video graphers. However, a couple of years later when they were getting married, they hired professionals.
Yes, indeed, times are changing. Hiring professional photographers is something that everyone does and they do a good job, the photos of the events are good memories to last you for a lifetime. However, how many photos can one have wearing the same dresses, 20-30, 50 still reasonable but over a 100, that too when all your family and friends are waiting after an exhausting time to put the event or function together, hungry, waiting to eat? That is a little too much.

Sprite1950

Credits
Weddings in the UK are usually a grand affair and cost a ridiculous amount of money. These days more people are opting for a cheaper registry office wedding with just exchange of vows and two witnesses although even these were cancelled during the pandemic. After, the couple will usually arrange for food and dancing to take place for all their relatives and friends to attend.

nangk08

Credits
Weddings in the UK are usually a grand affair and cost a ridiculous amount of money. These days more people are opting for a cheaper registry office wedding with just exchange of vows and two witnesses although even these were cancelled during the pandemic. After, the couple will usually arrange for food and dancing to take place for all their relatives and friends to attend.
Fifteen years ago, that was exactly the way I got married. My father has expired just 2 months back and no one was in the right state of mind, I wanted to postpone but my mum was firm. So we got married at the registry and had a small reception for family and friends afterwards.

Sprite1950

Credits
Fifteen years ago, that was exactly the way I got married. My father has expired just 2 months back and no one was in the right state of mind, I wanted to postpone but my mum was firm. So we got married at the registry and had a small reception for family and friends afterwards.
My daughter suffers from social anxiety and she would have hated a big wedding so she and her husband just went off and did it quietly. They didn't even have a reception afterwards. I think a couple should do whatever suits them and not worry about what others think.

nangk08

Credits
My daughter suffers from social anxiety and she would have hated a big wedding so she and her husband just went off and did it quietly. They didn't even have a reception afterwards. I think a couple should do whatever suits them and not worry about what others think.
I agree with you! However, there are so few people who think that way, for most people, especially the brides and their parents, what matters is how people will react if the kept the wedding very simple. Recently, my friend's daughter got engaged and they are planning a really extravagant wedding in May. I know that they have money but the kind of wedding they are planning, is too extravagant even for them. So I asked her about him and she said that this is what we are supposed to do. Even the girl wants it, she is not even thinking about the money her parents will obviously have to borrow. :rolleyes:

Credits
I would also love to have a small wedding. Weddings are so expensive nowadays and I would rather save the money for a rainy day.

I am not a fan of anything nowadays, I do not know the last time I attended a wedding. I love to keep to myself I presume.

nangk08

Credits
I would also love to have a small wedding. Weddings are so expensive nowadays and I would rather save the money for a rainy day.

I am not a fan of anything nowadays, I do not know the last time I attended a wedding. I love to keep to myself I presume.
Goof for you! That is a clever thought, save money for something you would love to do with your spouse, say travel to far off places or spend on a vacation at a great resort or something like that.

nangk08

Credits
Just get me a spouse first @nangk08, lol.

I am a single mom. I dread commitment after baby daddy walked.
Oh! That sucks! How old is your baby now? I am sure you will meet someone who is right for you and is good to you someday. Do not lose heart and keep your hopes up. You will meet someone good one day.

This thread has been viewed 175 times.